Learn how Microsoft 365 Groups interacts with Teams, SharePoint and other Microsoft services to get the most out of ShareGate in your Microsoft 365 environment.
- Microsoft 365 Groups
- The relationship between Microsoft 365 Groups, Teams, and other services
- Manage your Teams and groups in ShareGate Desktop
Microsoft 365 Groups
A Microsoft 365 group is a membership service in Active directory that allows you to connect multiple Microsoft 365 teamwork services. By default, a group will always provide a select group of users access to these shared services:
- Exchange inbox and calendar
- SharePoint team site
- Power BI
A group can also provide your group of users access to these other services:
- Project for the web
For more information on groups, see Learn about Microsoft 365 Groups.
The relationship between Microsoft 365 Groups, Teams, and other services
Teams is a chat-based collaboration hub based on the foundation of Microsoft 365 Groups. It was created to facilitate teamwork in the Microsoft productivity suite.
The graphic below illustrates the relationship between Teams, Microsoft 365 Groups, and other services.
In this example, Teams is the hub for teamwork, SharePoint provides content storage and file sharing capabilities, Exchange provides a shared inbox and calendar, Planner provides a task-based workflow, and Microsoft 365 Groups unites these services in the background by managing how users can access these services through shared permissions and security settings.
For more information about groups and teams, see Microsoft 365 Groups and Microsoft Teams.
Manage your teams and groups with ShareGate Desktop
In ShareGate Desktop, you can list all your Microsoft 365 groups.
You can also determine if a group is connected to a team in the Explorer and you can get a list of all your groups connected to a team with a custom report.
You can find instructions for both scenarios below:
How to check if a group is connected to a team in the Explorer
- In ShareGate Desktop select Explorer from the menu.
- If you are not already connected to your tenant, connect to your tenant with your Central admin URL.
- Click from the filter section at the top.
- Select a single group.
- Look at the Is team-connected property at the bottom of the quick action panel at the right.
- It will say Yes if your group is connected to a team, and No if it is not connected to a team.
How to create a custom report to get a list of your groups connected to a team
- In ShareGate Desktop, select All reports from the menu.
- Click .
- From the Object type dropdown, select Microsoft 365 group.
- In the Filters section, select Is team connected, is, yes with the dropdowns.
- In the Columns section, you can add properties such as Owners, Members, and Privacy to get more information about your team connected groups in your report.
- Click Continue without Saving if the report is a one-time use.
- Click Save and Continue if you will need the report again, or if you would like to automate the report with scheduling.
- Select the target of your report.
- Click Next.
- Set your options.
- Click Schedule (available if you saved your report) or Run now.
Note: Because a team is always connected to a group, this custom report will provide you with a list of all the teams in your environment.
Membership and security settings
Since the membership and security settings of a team are provided from a Microsoft 365 group, you can make changes to a group in ShareGate Desktop and these changes will affect your connected team as well.
To edit the membership or security settings of a team, select the associated group in the Explorer, and you will be able to modify these settings in the quick action panel at the right.
For more information about membership and permissions, see Microsoft 365 group, Microsoft Teams and SharePoint membership and permissions.
Tip: You can find more ways to filter and bulk edit your teams and groups in ShareGate Apricot (the app is included in your ShareGate subscription). For more information see Manage your environment in the ShareGate Apricot help center.