Microsoft Planner gives people a visual way to organize teamwork, assign tasks, manage deadlines, and follow up on projects.
ShareGate Desktop supports plans as part of your Teams migrations, just like how you can copy chat conversation history, private and standard channels, files, tabs, and more.
How it works
Your plan migration will work differently if you migrate a team as a new team in the destination or if you migrate a team or channel into an existing team.
When you migrate as a new team, all your plans linked to that team's Microsoft 365 Group are migrated along.
When you migrate into an existing team, only the plans added as a tab in a team channel are migrated.
Note: You can only migrate plans through a Teams migration.
- The plan, buckets, tasks, are copied.
- The order of the buckets and tasks is kept.
- Each plan comment is an email sent to the team's Outlook. To optimize the migration time and reduce the number of email notifications, comments are aggregated in a single comment up to a certain size limit.
- Members of a team or group are automatically members of the plans associated with their team or group if they are available at the destination. They can access the content of the plans even if their image does not appear in the Planner app.
- You can change the members of your plans and the people assigned to some tasks with user mappings. For more information on users, see User mapping below.
- The background is not preserved.
- The notification settings are not preserved.
- Users' plans marked as favorite are not kept.
- Task authors, comment authors, and timestamps are only preserved in comments.
- Created by and Completed by will be replaced by the user account you use for your migration.
- Created date time and Completed date time will be replaced by the date and time of the migration.
- For tasks, the authors and timestamps information will be added as a comment in the task. For comments, the information is added directly in the comment.
- Planner restrictions apply, for example:
- There is a maximum of 200 plans per team.
- There is a limit of approximately 2,400 tasks per plan.
Relationship to productivity apps
Microsoft provides several productivity apps, including Tasks, To Do, Planner, and Tasks by planner and to do.
Tasks and To Do are Outlook-based applications for creating personal tasks and displaying the Planner tasks assigned to users. ShareGate Desktop does not support the migration of Tasks, To Do, or the tasks created in Tasks or To Do.
Tasks by planner and to do is a Teams-based application for displaying personal Tasks/To Do tasks and the Planner tasks assigned to users. When a plan is migrated with Copy teams, the assigned Planner tasks will appear in the Tasks by planner and to do app of your user as long as that user is available in the destination tenant when you perform the migration.
When a plan is migrated with its team, if a user is unavailable at the destination their migrated tasks will be unasigned.
If the source user is mapped to an available user at the destiantion, the Planner tasks will become assigned to the mapped user. That user will find the tasks in their Tasks by planner and to do and Tasks/To Do apps.