- Access File share property extraction setting
- Available option
Access File share property extraction setting
- Click Settings at the bottom of the left menu.
- Select the Migration tab.
- Scroll to the File share property extraction section.
Allow properties extraction
Toggle on this feature to allow the app to read the metadata inside your PDF and Office files. For example, properties like Author, Editor, Title, and custom properties can be extracted and migrated as SharePoint metadata for your documents.
When the setting is activated, ShareGate Desktop will open each file to read the metadata so that it can be migrated and placed in SharePoint columns (using the mappings for each property).
You can also activate file share property extraction in the Properties tab of the Mappings screen.
Note: This setting affects your PowerShell migrations as well.
If the option is not toggled on in your settings or checked in the Properties tab of your mappings.
ShareGate Desktop will not read the metadata in the files and will not send it to SharePoint. If you do not need to copy the metadata within your files, you can disable it.
The main reasons to disable properties extraction are:
- Performance: Migration is faster if ShareGate Desktop does not have to open every file to read the metadata.
- Prevent errors/warnings: Some files may cause issues when opened. For example, they can be password protected, corrupted, and so on.