ShareGate Desktop relies on available Microsoft 365 APIs to migrate your Teams and there are a few limitations to consider.
- General limitations
- Incremental copy
- Members and owners
- Teams with Org-wide privacy will have Public privacy at the destination.
- The destination team will use the Standard Team template. Other templates are not supported at the moment.
- Teams migrations are not supported in Microsoft 365 Government Community Cloud (GCC and GCC High) environments.
- The Teams picture is not supported.
- The Teams setting Allow members to upload custom apps is not preserved at the destination. It will have the default value On at the destination.
- The Teams setting Who can add tags is not preserved at the destination. It will have the default value Owners only at the destination.
- Your custom tags from Manage tags are not supported.
- Pending requests for private teams are not migrated.
- Deleted channels are not migrated.
- Outgoing and Incoming webhooks are not migrated.
- Custom apps are not supported. Only Teams app store applications can be migrated.
- Chat messages are not migrated.
- Migrations to and from Multi-Geo Satellite sites (Central Site supported).
- The app cannot migrate Teams into the additional regions created by the Multi-Geo service.
- The migrated Team will go to the default tenant domain.
- The Calendar in Teams cannot be migrated. The calendar is not attached to SharePoint but is an Outlook service attached to your Exchange server.
- Copy/pasted images at the source will not be viewable in the destination. If an image was added an attachment at the source, it will be migrated as a reference link in the destination and still be viewable.
- Single sign-on browser authentication cannot be used.
For more information, see Copy teams - Incremental.
For more information, see Copy teams - Planner.
ShareGate Desktop cannot access the majority of your channels' settings. Your users will have to reconfigure their channels manually after the migration.
Note: this section is about the conversations you will find in the Posts tab of your team channels. It is not about the messages you will find in the Chat section of Teams. Chat messages are currently not supported.
- The migration is limited to the last 50 conversations including replies. All your other conversations are stored in an HTML archive page that you will find in a new Message history tab in the destination.
- Multiple replies to a conversation are merged into a single reply preserving the author and timestamp of each reply inline.
- ShareGate is unable to determine the time zone at the source. The timestamps of the conversations in the destination will be the same timestamps the user running the migration can see at the source.
- The Meet Now post is not migrated.
- Reactions (emojis at the top of your messages) are not migrated.
- Reference type Attachments added in a conversation via drag and drop or the upload button are replaced by a direct link to the documents in SharePoint.
- Conversations with a tab reference attachment are not shown in the tab at the destination.
- The Allow post setting of Announcement is not supported. The setting is set to the default at the destination which allows users to reply to the announcement.
- Link previews are not copied.
- User mentions (i.e. @teams, @channel) are replaced by text highlighted based on your formatting. The mentions will no longer display information about the user when you hover them with your mouse.
- Each migrated conversation will have the following disclaimer at the beginning:
The conversation below has been retrieved from <sourceTenantName>.
Some tabs are not fully supported. Unsupported tabs will be created but will require that users reconfigure them. The following table highlights tab support, depending on the migration:
Unsupported - Both the tab and its contents are unsupported when migrating to a different tenant.
Supported - Supported when migrating in the same tenant.
|Flow||✓||Not supported in any migration.|
|Custom wiki tabs*||✓||Not supported in any migration.|
For tabs that are supported when migrating in the same tenant, the tab will have the same content and will point to the same entity in Microsoft 365.
*Only the default wiki tab that gets created with your team is migrated. Private channels do not have a default wiki tab.
Limitations with supported tabs
- Most tabs created from third-party apps (for example Trello) will work once copied. Users will need to reconnect to the platform. In some cases, they might not work as expected and will require some adjustments in the destination.
- Folders coming from a cloud storage in a Files tab cannot be migrated.
- Your channels will get the default Wiki tab in the destination, even if it was removed in the source. This is because the application has to create a new channel during the migration and that tab gets created in the process. ShareGate Desktop does not remove the default tab.
- The app cannot preserve the order of your tabs.
Members and owners
Missing members and owners
Some members and owners from the source may not appear in the destination team's user interface.
These missing users are generally resolved automatically when Microsoft updates the members and owners lists every 24 business hours.
Missing users will be automatically added to the members or owners lists when they sign in to Teams. This update can take a few minutes.
- It is not possible to migrate without members or owners.
- Members and owners cannot be added or removed during a migration.