ShareGate Desktop relies on available Microsoft 365 APIs to migrate your Teams and there are a few limitations to consider.
- Teams with Org-wide privacy will have a Public privacy at the destination.
- The destination Team will use the Standard Team template. Other templates are not supported at the moment.
- Teams migrations are not supported in Microsoft 365 Government Community Cloud (GCC) environments.
- The Team picture is not supported.
- The Team setting Allow members to upload custom apps is not preserved at the destination. It will have the default value On at the destination.
- The Team setting Who can add tags is not preserved at the destination. It will have the default value Owners only at the destination.
- Your custom tags from Manage tags are not supported.
- Pending requests for private teams are not migrated.
- Deleted channels are not migrated.
- Private channels are not supported.
- Outgoing and Incoming webhooks are not migrated.
- Custom apps are not supported. Only Teams app store applications can be migrated.
- Chat messages are not migrated.
It is not possible to run an incremental migration of your Teams at the moment. If you remigrate a Team that already exists in the destination, it will be duplicated.
To perform the incremental update of your content, use Copy content, connect to the site collections attached to your source and destination teams, and select Copy if newer (Incremental) in your copy options.
ShareGate Desktop cannot access the majority of your channels' settings. Your users will have to reconfigure their channels manually after the migration.
Note: this section is about the conversations you will find in the Posts tab of your team channels. It is not about the messages you will find in the Chat section of Teams. Chat messages are currently not supported.
- The migration is limited to the last 50 conversations including replies. All your other conversations are stored in an HTML archive page that you will find in a new Message history tab in the destination.
- Multiple replies to a conversation are merged into a single reply preserving the author and timestamp of each reply inline.
- ShareGate is unable to determine the time zone at the source. The timestamps of the conversations in the destination will be the same timestamps the user running the migration can see at the source.
- The Meet Now post is not migrated.
- Reactions (emojis at the top of your messages) are not migrated.
- Reference type Attachments added in a conversation via drag and drop or the upload button are replaced by a direct link to the documents in SharePoint.
- Conversations with a tab reference attachment are not shown in the tab at the destination.
- The Allow post setting of of Announcement is not supported. The setting is set to the default at the destination which allows users to reply to the announcement.
- Link previews are not copied.
- User mentions (i.e. @teams, @channel) are replaced by text highlighted based on your formatting. The mentions will no longer display information about the user when you hover them with your mouse.
- Each migrated conversation will have the following disclaimer at the beginning:
The conversation below has been retrieved from <sourceTenantName>.
Some tabs are not supported. Unsupported tabs will be created but will require that users reconfigure them. These are the tabs that ShareGate Desktop currently does not support:
- Custom wiki tabs (only the default wiki tab that gets created with your team is migrated)
*These tabs are supported when migrating in the same tenant. The tab will have the same content and will point to the same entity in Microsoft 365.
Limitations with supported tabs
- Most tabs created from third party apps (for example Trello) will work once copied. Users will need to reconnect to the platform. In some cases they might not work as expected and will require some adjustments in the destination.
- Folders coming from a cloud storage in a Files tab cannot be migrated.
- Your channels will get the default Wiki tab in the destination, even if it was removed in the source. This is because the application has to create a new channel during the migration and that tab gets created in the process. ShareGate Desktop does not remove the default tab.
- The app cannot preserve the order of your tabs.
Members and Owners
Some members and owners from the source may not appear in the destination Team's user interface.
These missing users are generally resolved automatically when Microsoft updates the members and owners lists every twenty-four business hours.
Missing users will also be automatically added to the lists of members or owners when they sign in to Teams. This can take a few minutes.