Copy teams and their channels so you can easily reorganize and restructure your teams in a way that makes sense for how people collaborate and move inside your organization.
Note: Copy teams comes with a few restrictions. We recommend that you read the Copy teams limitations article before your run a Teams migration.
Tip: To merge two teams together, you can copy the channels of a team into another team. For the steps to copy team channels, see Walkthrough - Copy team channels.
- The Azure ShareGate Desktop application is consented on your tenant.
- You have global admin or SharePoint admin permissions.
- You also have team admin permissions if you do not have global admin permissions.
- You have a valid Teams license for the source and destination.
- You have logged into Teams at least once (in browser or in the Teams app) to have access to the hosted content.
- Click Copy in the menu at the left.
- Click Copy teams.
- Select your source tenant in the left corner if it is already connected.
- Click No connections then +Add connection to connect to your source tenant if it is not already connected.
- Select a team if you want to copy that team as a whole or copy all of its channels to another team.
- Click on the arrow symbol at the left of your team's icon to expand it if you want to select specific channels only.
Note: You can select multiple teams and channels to copy. You will be able to determine where you want to migrate everything at a later step.
- Select your destination tenant if it is already connected.
- Click +Add connection and connect to your destination tenant if it is not already connected.
- Click to map users.
- Click the pen icon that appears when you hover your mouse on a team to rename the team or some of its channels in the destination.
- Select Copy as a new team next to a team to migrate that team and channels as a new team in the destination.
- Select Copy channels in an existing team to migrate your channels to a team in the destination.
Note: When you select Copy channels in an existing team, you can search and select the destination team in the dropdown that appears.
- Click to migrate your Team(s).
- Click to migrate your Team(s) at a later time.
- When you start the copy right away, you will be taken to the task summary page where you will be able to monitor the progress of the migration.
- Once the action is completed, the migration report will show any successes, warnings, or errors. For more information, see Migration report.
You can use incremental copy for teams that were migrated with ShareGate Desktop 15.0 and higher. For more information see Copy teams - Incremental.
If you remigrate a team that already exists in the destination, it will be duplicated.
Tip: If your initial migration was done with a version of the app prior to 15.0, or if you want more control over the incremental copy of your documents only, you can perform an incremental copy of the content in your teams' libraries using Copy content. To do so, connect to the site collections attached to your source and destination teams, and select Copy if newer (Incremental) in your copy options.