Promote converts your subsite to a site collection by migrating it to the same level as your other site collections.
Note: You can decide to keep your original subsite in the options when using Promote.
- You have Global admin, Farm admin or SharePoint admin permissions.
- You have site collection admin permissions on the site collection that contains the subsites you want to promote.
- You have term store admin permissions on your source and destination if you have managed metadata (Terms, Term sets, Term set groups) in your migration scope.
- You are connected to your Microsoft 365 Admin center or SharePoint central admin.
Note: Site collection admin permissions are required even if you have higher admin privileges like SharePoint admin or Global admin permissions. For more information click here.
- Select Copy in the menu.
- Click the Restructure environment tab
- Select Promote subsite into site
- Click on the web app at the top to select another one, or to add a new connection.
- Expand the site collection with the subsite(s) you want to promote.
- Add a check mark next to the subsite(s).
- Click .
- Adjust your options.
- Click .
- The task will run, and you will see the promote summary screen (you can access the summary anytime through Tasks).
Note: The permissions are handled the same as with Copy structure when promoting a subsite as a full site copy.