ShareGate Desktop is a client-side application that connects to your Office 365 environment just like a user does. There are many factors that could influence your capability to connect to Office 365 with the application.
Update ShareGate Desktop
If you are not using the latest version, update ShareGate Desktop. The application is frequently updated to comply to Microsoft's newest standards. These new standards can affect your connection.
Connect in your browser
Connect to your site or admin center directly in your browser on the same workstation ShareGate Desktop is installed on.
- If you can connect: Make sure you're using the same URL, and credentials in ShareGate Desktop.
- If you can't connect: Contact your SharePoint or network administrator.
Try all the authentication modes in ShareGate Desktop
Depending on your configuration, it is possible that the default authentication method in ShareGate Desktop will not work for your Tenant. Try all the authentication methods (Current Windows User, Other user, Browser) to see if any of them work for you.
Connect with SharePoint Designer
SharePoint Designer and ShareGate Desktop are very similar in their way to connect to SharePoint as they are both client-side applications. You can get SharePoint Designer for free from Microsoft.
- If you can connect: Make sure you're using the same URL and credentials in ShareGate Desktop.
- If you can't connect: Contact your SharePoint or network administrator, or Microsoft's support.
You might need assistance from a SharePoint or network administrator to validate these points.
Using Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?
Using the Browser authentication method allows you to connect with most multi-factor authentication configurations.
If the Browser authentication method does not work, you can try to create an app password in Office 365, and then use the Other User authentication method in ShareGate Desktop to sign in using the app password instead.
This is easy to create, and can be used as your primary authentication method to connect to your environment in ShareGate Desktop.
Note: App passwords will not work with Office 365 Groups.
Ensure your SharePoint Tenant has a root site collection
The absence of a root site collection in your environment will cause authentication errors as ShareGate Desktop needs information from the root site collection to authenticate your account.
Verify that there is no proxy, firewall, or antivirus blocking your connection
Your network can reject the connection request from ShareGate Desktop.
- If you're using an antivirus: Try disabling it.
- If you're using a proxy: Check if you need to enter proxy information on your network.
- If you're using a proxy or firewall: Make sure you are allowing ShareGate Desktop to access to the proper ports and URLS on your network.
The connection still does not work?
Our support team will be happy to help you solve the issue. To get a faster resolution, please provide the following information when submitting your request:
- Are you using the latest version of ShareGate Desktop?
- What was the error message you received?
- What have you tried from this article? More details are often better than not enough.
- Are you or have you spoken to a network administrator?