ShareGate Desktop is a client-side only application. The app uses available SharePoint APIs (CSOM, REST, GRAPH, SOAP, etc.) for your migrations, and will not impact your database(s) directly.
- Requests are sent to the APIs to get information from the source.
- SharePoint sends requests to your Active Directory through the people picker to resolve your users for permissions and metadata values, like created by and modified by.
- SharePoint returns the data from the calls sent in point (1) to ShareGate Desktop.
- Requests are sent to build the structure, and migrate your content at the destination. Some requests are sent to get information on the destination.
- ShareGate Desktop receives information for some of the requests from point (4).
Note: We recommend installing the server extension on your On-premises SharePoint servers. Also, the data that transitions through ShareGate Desktop will be encrypted when you connect to a SharePoint site that uses HTTPS. For more information see Encryption and security.