ShareGate Desktop is a client-side only application. The app will use the available SharePoint APIs (CSOM, REST, GRAPH, SOAP, etc.) for your migrations, and will not impact the database directly.
- Requests are sent to the APIs to get information from the source.
- SharePoint sends calls to the Active Directory through the people picker to resolve your user's permissions and metadata values, like created by and modified by.
- SharePoint returns the data from the calls sent in point (1) to ShareGate Desktop.
- Requests are sent to build the structure, and migrate your content at the destination. Some requests are sent to get information on the destination.
- ShareGate Desktop receives information for some of the requests from point (4).
Note: We recommend installing the server extension on your On-premises SharePoint servers. When connecting to a SharePoint site that uses HTTPS, the data transitioning through ShareGate Desktop will be encrypted.