MUI (Multilingual User Interface) is a SharePoint feature that allows your users to view your sites in their preferred language.
You migrate a multilingual site and it only renders in one language at your destination.
ShareGate Desktop doesn't preserve your site's language settings or translations. The destination site will use the default language of the environment you are migrating to.
- In your destination SharePoint site go to Site Settings -> Language settings -> Alternate language(s).
- Activate the same alternate languages as your source site.
Note: All the alternative languages are available in Microsoft 365. You have to install the necessary language packs if your destination is an on-premise version of SharePoint to activate them.
- In SharePoint, access the regional settings for the user profile you will use for the migration destination.
- Click on your name in the top-right -> About me -> Edit your profile -> The (...) symbol ->Language and Region.
- Set the same default language as in the source.
- Wait five minutes for the language sync to be completed.
- Return to ShareGate desktop.
- Migrate your site (merge).
- In your source SharePoint site go to Site settings -> Export translations, and export your translations.
- In the destination SharePoint site, go to Site settings -> Import Translations
- Import the translations in the destination site.