ShareGate Desktop supports the migration of retention labels when the destination is on the same Office 365 tenant as the source. See this overview of retention labels for more information on how retention labels work.
There are some limitations associated with the migration of retention labels:
- When migrating using normal mode, the retention label must be manually applied at the destination. The date on the label will show as the migration date, and the user on the label will be the user account used to migrate. In this case, the retention policy will be applied from the migration date and not from the date the label was applied at the source.
- If you migrate a retention label after editing your retention policy at your source, the policy applied at the destination will be the current one.
- When migrating list items, the default retention label at the destination will be applied if the source item has no retention label.
- When migrating documents, the source label is always applied at the destination.
- When migrating list folders that have a retention label, a warning might come up that reads: Value does not fall within the expected range. This is a generic warning that should have no impact on your migration.