Normal mode is a setting found in the ShareGate Desktop app that allows you to migrate or import your content and objects at a standard speed. Migrating in Normal mode will take longer than when using Insane mode, however you may still prefer to use Normal mode due to possible lower server impact on-premises, or if your case falls into the limitations associated with Insane mode.
Actions only supported by Normal mode
- Item IDs
- Copying ASPX pages
- Copying Discussion Board
Note: If you install the Server Extension 1.8.3 or higher at the destination, you can use Insane mode for these items.
- Anything related to item structure will use Normal mode.
- Copying ASPX pages from SharePoint 2003 and SharePoint 2007.
- Copying modern site page templates.
- Copying Calendar's special occurrences.
- Copying list items that are declared as records.
- Copying documents to a document library that has an enterprise keyword field.
- Copying user alerts on list items.
These actions are only supported by Normal mode due to technical limitations of the Azure Migration API.
If you prefer using Insane mode for your migration, you do not have to worry about the above exclusions. ShareGate Desktop will detect these when running a migration on Insane mode, and seamlessly and automatically switch to Normal mode. If you have met the requirements for using Insane mode, it should have minimal impact on your migration as a whole.
Actions not supported by Normal mode
- Copying list item IDs
- Copying orphaned users