When the Server Extension is installed on your destination on-premises server (versions 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019), you can use Insane mode for your migrations.
To use Insane mode, the Server Extension does not need to be installed on a source on-premises server, but you will get better migration performance if you do.
Where you install the Server Extension depends on your source and destination environments, and the level of performance you want for your migration:
- Migration from on-premises to on-premises - The Server Extension is required at a minimum on the destination server for you to use Insane mode. For best results, install on both the source and destination servers.
- Migration from Microsoft 365 to on-premises - The Server Extension is required on the destination server for you to use Insane mode.
- Migration from on-premises to Microsoft 365 - The Server Extension is not required in Microsoft 365, but it is highly recommended for the source server for better migration performance.
- The Server Extension is not compatible with SharePoint 2003.
- You do not need the extension in Microsoft 365. For more information, see Server Extension checklist.
- As SharePoint Server 2007 is past the end of its Microsoft support lifetime, ShareGate is no longer able to provide full support of this product. For more information, see Contacting our technical support team.
Do you need the Server Extension? For the next steps, see Installation - Server Extension.