When you migrate content to Office 365, Microsoft uses the Migration API to boost your migration speed. In Insane mode, your content will first be uploaded to your Microsoft Azure storage account, then imported by Office 365.
You can review our migration flow diagram for more information on how your content is handled in Insane mode.
- Site Collection administrator permissions are needed at the destination for Insane Mode to work in Office 365.
Azure storage options
A default Azure storage for use by the migration API is included with your SharePoint tenant. You can also decide to use your own Azure storage account to be utilized instead.
Using the default Azure storage
We recommend using the default azure storage for your Microsoft 365 migrations in Insane mode.
The default storage requires no additional configuration and does not add any costs to use Insane mode.
The provided container is generated in the same data center as your Microsoft 365 Tenant during the course of your Insane mode migration.
Note: Your data will be encrypted in the process. Microsoft encrypts the data with AES CBC 256 Standard encryption. The app will possess the encryption key for a period of 72 hours during which you can only download Manifest packages. Your data is deleted after a week to give enough time for Microsoft to import all your files, folders, and metadata to Microsoft 365.
Using your own Azure storage
Using your own Azure storage account does not provide you with significant advantages over the default storage option. We only recommend using this option if you need to have long term access to your Manifest Package.
Standard storage and transfer fees for Azure incurred while using this option are not included in your ShareGate Desktop subscription.
- Select Settings in the left menu.
- Select Migration in the settings screen.
- In the Office 365 configuration section, select if you want to use the default or custom Azure storage option.
- Select Default storage account to use the default. No further action is required.
- Select Custom storage account to use your own Azure storage account.
- Enter the name and key for your storage account. If you do not already have one, you can follow the steps in this article to created one.
- In ShareGate Desktop while still in the migration settings screen, select Insane mode in the Migration speed section.
Note: You can change linked accounts at any time, but active jobs in Office 365 can only be tracked if they are associated to a linked account.