When you migrate content to Microsoft 365 in Insane mode, the app uses Microsoft's Migration API for added functionality and to boost your migration speed.
In Insane mode, your content will first be uploaded to an Azure storage account, then imported to SharePoint by Microsoft 365.
For more information on how your content is handled in Insane mode, see Migration flow diagram - Microsoft 365 destination.
- Azure storage options
- Site Collection administrator permissions are needed at the destination for Insane mode to work in Microsoft 365.
Azure storage options
A default Azure storage for use by the migration API is included with your Microsoft 365 subscription. You can also use your own Azure storage instead.
Your content is encrypted with AES CBC 256 Standard encryption whether you use the default Azure storage solution or your own.
For more information about the encryption, see Encryption and security.
Using the default Azure storage
We recommend using the default azure storage for your Microsoft 365 migrations in Insane mode.
The default storage requires no additional configuration and does not add any costs to use Insane mode.
The provided container is generated in the same data center as your Microsoft 365 Tenant during the course of your Insane mode migration.
Using your own Azure storage
Using your own Azure storage account does not provide you with significant advantages over the default storage option. We only recommend using this option if you need to have long-term access to your Manifest Package.
Standard storage and transfer fees for Azure incurred while using this option are not included in your ShareGate Desktop subscription.
- Select Settings in the left menu.
- Select Migration in the settings screen.
- In the Microsoft 365 configuration section, select if you want to use the default or custom Azure storage option.
- Select Default storage account to use the default. No further action is required.
- Select Custom storage account to use your own Azure storage account.
- Enter the name and key for your storage account. If you do not already have one, you can follow the steps in this article to created one.
- In ShareGate Desktop while still in the migration settings screen, select Insane mode in the Migration speed section.
Note: You can change linked accounts at any time, but active jobs in Microsoft 365 can only be tracked if they are associated with a linked account.