When attempting to copy one or more workflows, Sharegate displays the following error:
This Out-of-the-box workflow cannot be copied because the workflow template cannot be found for this language.
This error occurs because Sharegate is unable to find the corresponding Out-of-the-box workflow template for the destination site language. Those Out-of-the-box workflows are generally Globally Reusable Workflows and are language specific. That being said, they are automatically deployed when activating the site collection feature Workflows. Unfortunately, SharePoint only deploys them for the languages that already have at least one site existing in the site collection.
For instance, if both sites in this hierarchy contains workflows:
- SC1 (Site Collection, English)
- SS1 (Subsite, French)
When trying to copy the site collection SC1 with Sharegate, this is what is going to happen:
- Sharegate copies the site collection SC1
- Sharegate activates the site collection feature Workflows to be able to migrate the source workflow(s)
- SharePoint will automatically deploy the OOTB workflows for the English language, but not for French as there's no site in French yet in that site collection.
- Sharegate will copy the subsite SS1
- Sharegate will try to copy the workflows contained in SS1 but will fail as the workflow templates have not been deployed to support French.
WARNING: this is a workaround which will affect other workflows.
After the copy, you can deactivate and reactivate the site collection feature Workflows this will redeploy all the workflows for all the languages you currently have a site created in. Deactivating this feature will remove any of the workflows associated with lists. You'll need to reassociate them manually or do it with Sharegate using the merge feature.