When attempting to migrate a column, the following message is displayed:
Cannot create the field 'My Column' because the type 'Custom Field Type' is not supported.
This error usually happens when migrating a column that uses a custom field type, either developed in-house or that comes from a third party. If the field type is not available at the destination, Sharegate will not be able to create the appropriate column to migrate the content at the destination.
If possible, deploy the custom field type at the destination and migrate your list again.
If you cannot deploy the custom field type at the destination you will not be able to preserve your column.
To preserve the values of the unsupported field, you can try mapping the source field to a new single line of text column at the destination. See the steps below:
- Open the destination list in SharePoint.
- Go to List Settings.
- Click on Create column in the Columns section.
- Create a new text column (single line or multiple lines depending on the type of values you have in the source).
- Open ShareGate Desktop.
- Go to Copy.
- Select Copy content.
- Connect to the source list.
- Connect to the destination list.
- Click .
- Select Properties.
- Map the custom field to the newly created text field.
- Click .
- Run the migration.
Note: Mapping the property will not work in all cases. Some field types can contain data that is not compatible with a text field.