You can install a trial fully-featured version of ShareGate Desktop with some limitations:
- When using the trial, some items and documents may be randomly skipped.
- The trial expires after 15 days.
Make a Request
To request a trial, complete the registration form on the ShareGate Desktop website. Follow the instructions to download and install ShareGate Desktop.
Once you have completed the registration, we'll send you a trial key via email. Don't forget to check your spam folder!
Using Your Trial
Please read this to ensure you get the most possible out of your ShareGate Desktop trial.
Activate your License
See the activation and deactivation page to learn how to activate ShareGate Desktop with your trial license key.
Understand how ShareGate Desktop works
ShareGate Desktop is a client-side application. It can be installed on any workstation, including your personal laptop. Our tool uses SharePoint APIs to perform most of its operations. In a few cases you may have to install our Server Extension.
Launch ShareGate Desktop & connect to your environments
Whether you are cloud based, on-premises, or migrating from on-premises to Office 365, you connect to your environments in the exact same way.
ShareGate Desktop uses HTTP/HTTPS ports to connect to your environment. Make sure the account you are using to connect to your environment has sufficient rights.
I'm connected to my environments, now what?
- Run a Source analysis of your source environment to see what you have and the effort it will take migrating of your stuff. Note that you don't need to connect to any destination to run a Source analysis.
- Get a complete overview of your permissions with the Permission Matrix Report. Post-migration, confirm with Site owners that users still have access to what they used to.
- Leverage our pre-built reports or build some reports of your own.
- Decide on a small sample list or subsite you want to migrate.
- Run a pre-check report and get familiar with the errors. They often come with a hyperlink to our Help Center, so you can easily solve them
- Fix the errors and warnings. If you can't find a solution, feel free to reach out to your assigned ShareGate Desktop Expert (one should reach out to you when you sign up for a trial, if not please contact us).
- Once all the errors and warnings flagged in the pre-check report are fixed, copy the same list or subsite
- Have a look at your newly migrated object from your browser.
Tips and Tricks
- Starting with a small migration offers a benchmark in terms of performance. This EBook will give you the best practices to reach optimal performance when migrating with ShareGate Desktop.
- Planning a SharePoint migration is probably more important than the migration itself. Make sure you involve your users throughout the complete process so you make this upgrade a success.
- How to Build a SharePoint Migration Plan - https://sharegate.com/blog/building-a-sharepoint-migration-plan
- 10 Reasons your SharePoint Migration Failed- https://www.slideshare.net/benjaminniaulin/10-reasons-your-sharepoint-migration-failed