When copying a site, a site template must be used to create the site at the destination. The source site templates can be mapped to the site templates available at the destination, allowing you to customize the templates used when creating your sites.
- Access Mappings
- How-to customize mappings
- Map (unavailable) source site templates
- Unmapped site template
- Click Copy.
- Select Copy structure and content and connect to a source and a destination.
- Click Mappings at the top-right corner.
- Select Site templates.
Default mapping behavior
ShareGate Desktop will automatically map your source site templates to the available destination site templates. When assigning the default templates, ShareGate desktop follows these rules:
- Site templates with the same template name (identifier) and language will be mapped to each other.
- If no destination template is found, the mapping will be done by title.
- If there is still no destination template matching the source template, it will be mapped to a template that has the same template name, but of any language (using English as priority).
- If there is still no destination template found, the source template will stay unmapped.
How-to customize mappings
- Access Mappings.
- If multiple languages are available in your SharePoint source and destination sites, select the language in which you want to edit the mappings. Select the Language for both your source and destination.
- The site templates that are available are displayed in the right pane.
- Drag the appropriate destination site template from the right pane and drop it in the left pane.
- When finished, click Save.
To revert your custom mappings to the default mapping done by the app, click Restore default mappings.
Map (unavailable) source site templates
Some source site templates are marked as (unavailable) if they are obsolete or system site templates. These are templates that may be used in your current sites, but will not be available when creating a new site.
The (unavailable) templates are listed toward the bottom of the Source mappings list. You can map (unavailable) templates the same way that you map other templates, or leave them unmapped.
Unmapped site templates
You can select the destination template to use for any source site template that is not automatically mapped by the app or that cannot be mapped. From Mappings, set the source Default site template to the destination template of your choosing. When creating sites at the destination, ShareGate Desktop will use this template for any unmapped source site templates.
- The default destination template mapped to Default site template is Team site (classic experience).
- The Default site template must be set for each language separately.