Import from File Share allows you to import from file system or network drives to SharePoint, Microsoft 365, or OneDrive for business.
Tip: You will find useful information about migrating your file share permissions in our Import from file share - Permissions article.
- Your file share drives are mapped on your system.
- You have the Permissions Read and Read permissions on your file share. Read so the app can read your items and Read permissions so the app can read the permissions of your items.
- You have Full control permissions on your destination library.
- You have term store admin permissions on your destination if you want to add managed metadata (Terms, Term sets, Term set groups) to your documents.
- We recommend Site Collection admin permissions on your destination since they are required to run your migration in Insane Mode.
- Access your file share with the same user account that is running ShareGate Desktop to avoid any issues when the app accesses your drive(s) or your documents.
- Click Copy in the menu at the left.
- Select the Import external content tab.
- Select Import from file share.
- Add your credentials to connect to your destination SharePoint environment.
- Click Connect.
- Select your destination library
- Click Next.
- The local file share drives you can import content from will be on the left pane (C:\, Desktop, Documents, any other connected drives).
- Double click a drive to drill down to the item you would like to import.
- Select the item.
- Click or drag and drop it into the right pane.
- Once the action is completed, the migration report will show any successes, warning, or errors. See Migration Report for more details.