The Server extension enables ShareGate Desktop to make one call to get a file and all its versions at the same time. Without the extension, ShareGate Desktop must make one call per version.
If for example you have 100 files to copy, and each of those have 20 versions each:
- With the Server extension: 100 calls are required.
- Without the Server extension: 2000 calls are required.
The extension also allows ShareGate Desktop to preserve certain values from your environment.
The Server extension is not required in Office 365, but it is highly recommended to install it in your source or destination if you're doing any kind of migration to or from an on-premise SharePoint server.
Installing the Server Extension will not cause any downtime on your SharePoint server and does not require a server reboot.
- Download the Server extension installer from here.
- Launch the Server extension installer, and follow the steps.
You must install the Server extension on your SharePoint web front-end servers (including where your Central Administration is hosted, which is usually a web front-end server, but could be an app server). If you have more than one Web Front-End server, copy the installer into all of them, then run the installer. Your SharePoint server must have at least .NET framework 3.5 or higher in order to proceed with a Server Extension installation.
Tip: If you get an unauthorized error, try running the installer as an administrator with the following steps:
- Locate Command Prompt in Windows.
- Right-click Command Prompt.
- Select Run as administrator.
- Type msiexec /i followed by a space, and then the path of the installer
(i.e.: msiexec /i C:\Users\[youruser.account]\Desktop\Sharegate.Extension.2.0.0.msi).
- Click enter.