Sharegate displays the following error when copying documents or list items with attachments:
- Unable to copy this file because the size exceeds the maximum size allowed by SharePoint.
- Unable to copy this file because its size <FILE SIZE> will exceed the maximum size allowed by SharePoint.
- Unable to copy this list item because the attachment <ATTACHMENT NAME> has a size of <ATTACHMENT SIZE> which will exceeds the maximum size allowed by SharePoint.
- Unable to copy this list item because its attachments size <ATTACHMENTS SIZE> will exceed the maximum size allowed through insane mode on-premises.
- Any error ending with 287
SharePoint has a maximum upload size that varies depending on your version. The migration mode (Insane mode, Normal mode) you use can also affect the total file size you can migrate in SharePoint.
For more information about the upload size limitations, see Is there a file size limitation?.
When copying a file that exceeds one of these limits, ShareGate Desktop signals an error indicating that the file is too large and that the element cannot be created in your destination.
For files or attachments within the default size limit range in SharePoint on-premises:
Verify that the maximum upload size setting for your destination Web Application is configured accordingly.
To access this setting, connect to your central administration and go to the general settings of the desired Web Application.
Note: SharePoint 2013 and prior versions do not allow files over 2 gigabytes.
For documents that exceed the default size limit range
For files that are more than 15 gigabytes in Microsoft 365
While Microsoft 365 will accept files up to 100 gigabytes, the app can only migrate files up to 15 gigabytes in Insane mode.
Use Normal mode to migrate files larger than 15 gigabytes in Microsoft 365.