When attempting to copy or edit a document, Sharegate displays the following message:
Cannot perform this operation because the item you try to replace is currently checked out.
When copying or editing a document contained in a list which is configured to require a checkout to edit, Sharegate needs to check out the document prior to editing or copying it. If a file is checked out during a Sharegate operation, Sharegate is be able to check the document back in, and you will see this error.
The most common cause for a file being checked out during a Sharegate operation is a workflow set to run automatically when there is a new document, or when a document is updated. The workflow can check out the file and this would cause the error in Sharegate.
There are three possible solutions to this issue:
- Disable all your workflows and event handlers that cause documents to be checked out while you use Sharegate.
- If no workflow is set to run automatically, simply discard the check out on the target document and try to run the operation again. It might have happened because someone checked out the document at the same time as you ran the operation in Sharegate.
- Check in all checked out documents by following this path in the New Report feature in Reporting:
- Click Reporting
- Select New Report
- Select Object Type Document
- Select Checked Out Status Is Checked Out
- Continue either with or without saving
- Select your target
- Click Run
- Click Edit selected result(s)
- Select Transformation Check In As [required version] Note: You can also Discard Checked Out to achieve the same result, but this transformation is not recommended as it will delete any changes a user made to the checked out document.
- Click Apply
- Click Continue
- All your selected documents will now be checked in.