If the Modified By and Created By values in the source are not preserved in the destination after migration, one of these issues may be at play:
- The user(s) do not exist in your destination. ShareGate Desktop cannot preserve the Created By and Modified By values during migration if the associated user(s) do not exist on the destination site.
- You can test this by creating a temporary library on the destination site and adding a People or Group column. Then, add an item in the list, and set the column to the specified user(s). If you cannot find the the user(s), then you know you must add them before the migration takes place.
- You don't have administrative rights or certain permissions on the destination, which may required to preserve those values.
- A server extension is needed.
- You are using a custom property template. If this is the case, make sure you selected the option Preserve authors and timestamps.
- Office is not installed on the computer where ShareGate Desktop is running. If you are copying local files to SharePoint, ShareGate Desktop extracts properties from Office files.
Document Properties Extraction is not enabled. If you are copying local files to SharePoint, you must:
- click File -> select Options -> select General -> check Enable Document Properties Extraction in ShareGate Desktop Migration to enable it.
- There is a Workflow or Event Listener on the list modifying the Modified By when adding or updating an item.
If you still have not found a solution to this problem, our awesome support team will be happy to help further.