To perform an export, ShareGate Desktop uses a specific folder structure on your file system. We highly recommend preserving this structure as it is, otherwise you won't be able to use ShareGate Desktop to re-import these items in SharePoint in the future.
- A folder with the list name will be created.
- In the list folder, a folder "Attachments" will be created to store all the attachments of the list items.
- For each list item that has at least one attachment, a folder will be created with the id of the list item
- Finally, an excel file containing all the metadata will be created in the list folder.
Exporting a list called MyList that contains one item with some attachments would produce the resulting file/folder structure. The file MyList.xlsx would contain one line with the metadata for the item.
- A folder with the library name will be created.
- In the library folder, a folder "Documents" will be created to store all the documents of the library.
- The folder structure of the library will be respected (folders will be created under the "Documents" folder to match the library folder structure).
- If you choose to export the version history, the files will be renamed with the following format :
For example, the version 1.1 of myFile.pdf will be renamed to myFile.1.1.pdf
- Finally, an excel file containing all the metadata will be created in the library's folder.
A library called MyLibrary contains a file File.pdf and a folder Folder1. Folder1 contains a file FileInSubFolder.pdf and this file has 2 versions (1.0 and 1.1). Exporting this library will produce the following file/folder structure. The file MyLibrary.xlsx will contain the metadata for File.pdf, for Folder1 and for both versions of FileInSubFolder.pdf
- A folder with the site name will be created.
- A folder will be created for each list/library in the site (see above for the contents of those folders).
- A folder with the subsite name will be created for each subsite.
Objects with the same name
If more than one object has the same name (for example, a site contains a list and a subsite that have the same name), ShareGate Desktop will append a number at the end of the object name to avoid collisions.