This article will take you through an example of how to copy lists with circular lookups.
For the example, assume you have List A and List B with a circular lookup between them, where List A points to List B, and List B points back to List A.
- In your source List A, set the lookup columns to Not Required in the column setting.
- In the ShareGate Desktop app, select the Copy Structure option in Migration, and connect to your source and destination sites.
- In the navigation pane on the left, click on List and Libraries and select List A
- Click Options
- Under Configuration, un-check List Content.
- Once the migration is complete, you should have an empty list at your destination.
- Return to the migration menu in the ShareGate Desktop app.
- Select Copy Content, and connect to List A at the source, and the newly created List A at the destination.
- At the top, click
- Select the Properties tab.
- Click on the " X " under Source in the column that contains the lookup column, and click Save. This will allow the app to skip the column since it is not required.
- Select all items on the left pane.
- Once complete, you should have the list at the destination, and only the data from the lookup columns will be missing.
- Migrate List B using the Copy Structure option in the migration menu.
- Once that's complete, migrate List A again using the Copy Structure option in the migration menu.
- You should now have a list at the destination with all the required column information for the lookup to get populated.